Childrey Baptist Church was founded on Febuary 22, 1785 (Then known as Childrey Creek Church) with Obedieah Echols as the Church's first pastor. Since then God has been writing the story of this historic Church. Childrey Church has had no less than a total of 4 Church buildings. The original building was a log school house that sat on a hill above Childrey Creek in Halifax County, Virginia. The total number of the orignial congregation was only 30 people. By 1833, the membership had grown to 209. By 1844, a new house of worship had been constructed and Sunday School was offically incorporated.
Childrey has since continued to grow and labors to serve the Brookneal and Halifax communities. The most recent addition to Childrey Baptist Church was the decision to add the multi-purpose building and a connecting building with new bathrooms. The old fellowship building was converted into classrooms for the children and youth departments. Groundbreaking was held in 2002 for the multi-purpose building.